Camacho earns Coach of the Year

Max Hoxie, Sports Writer

Behind every great team is an even greater coach. For Xavier bowling, that great coach is Russ Camacho. Coach Camacho was named Coach of the Year following multiple successful seasons  as  the  head of the Xavier bowling program. Camacho brings both passion and instruction to the bowling alley.

For Xavier bowlers, Camacho’s guidance plays a critical role in the team’s development and success.

“Coach Camacho has influenced me as a bowler by teaching me what is important but not often realized when bowling on your own,” junior Cheyanne Crane said. “You have to stay very focused with each shot; if you have a poorly one frame, you can’t let that get the best of you. You have to stay positive, and not let one bad frame get you down. If it gets you down, then one bad frame can turn into an entire bad game.”

Crane was not the only bowler to talk about the importance of Camacho’s wisdom.

“Coach Camacho knows so much about bowling and how to improve my swing and release,” senior Jackson Schuster said. “He can identify what I’m doing wrong and always knows how to fix it.”

Camacho’s prudent guidance has paid off in helping develop Xavier bowling into what it has become. Despite being named Coach of the Year, Camacho was quick to thank his fellow coaches and players.

“It is always an honor to be selected by your peers for an award,” Camacho said. “It is also a testament to the hard work that my staff puts in during practices and matches to get the most out of the athletes. It is an award for the athletes as well, since they have to buy into the program in order for it to be successful.”

After leading the bowling team for several years, Camacho’s hard work has bore fruit. Camacho attributes much of his success to the hard work of his team.

“A coach’s success is very much determined by getting the right people out for their program ,and having those same students buy into what you are trying to do,” Camacho said. “I think a large part is due to my assistant coaches and the work that they do.  I also believe success is the result of learning from your mistakes and understanding how to make the most out of the athletes that you have.”

With a combination of talented bowler’s and a dedicated coach, Xavier’s bowling team hopes to have a bright future.

Max Hoxie

Sports Writer