Saints find music in code

Lizzie Leu, News Writer

People make music in many different ways. Wind musicians use a combination of their hands and their mouths to manipulate an instrument to produce different sounds. Vocal musicians use their mouths, throats, and stomachs to sing different melodies. However, computer programmers have their own way of creating music; through the process of computer coding. Over spring break, March 13-17, a small group of Xavier community members met to create their own songs by giving instructions to computers.

Freshman Devin Muresan, LMC media assistant, Ms. Konzen, and technology coordinator, Mrs. Miltner got together each day during spring break to create their own songs using an online computer software program.

“It was a lot of fun. I really learned a lot,” Muresan said. “It’s a very interesting way to use code, and I will definitely be thinking about creative ways to use my code differently in the future.”

The program used, EarSketch, allows its users to give the computer a series of commands. Each command makes up one element of a song. For example, one command might be for a beat, a drum fill, or a chord. Within each of those commands is a list of options. A programmer can choose from a list of different beats, different fills, and different chords.

The program also allows its users to filter their sound by artist, genre, and instrument. Programmers can even incorporate multiple genres in one song, although that might not sound very pleasant. The program sets up each genre around one key. If a user does not like any of the sound options in that genre, they may record their own in the same key and upload it onto the computer. For example, if one wants to have an acoustic guitar solo at the end of their musical phrase, they can record themselves playing in the appropriate key and upload it to the program.

“For me, it’s all about learning. I love learning. More than anything in school, if you can learn to love learning, that’s lifelong,” Mrs. Miltner said. “Your education doesn’t have to end when you graduate from college. I know nothing about music and very little about coding, so this has been a learning experience for me.”

Lizzie Leu

News Writer