Helgeson’s unique role

Maddix Stovie, Sports Co-Editor

Most high schoolers attend basketball games to cheer on a team, but AJ Helgeson is at Xavier High School on game nights for a different reason. Helgeson, a Xavier junior, has a unique role as the announcer for the Xavier girls’ home basketball games.

After the previous announcer was not able to announce anymore, the basketball program was in need of someone new.

“I recommended AJ because he has been involved in speech, and he has the voice and personality that would go well with being an announcer,” Streif said.

Helgeson jumped at the role when he was asked.

“Coach Tom Lilly asked Mrs. Lisa Streif (the speech director) if there were any students involved in speech who were interested,’” Helgeson said. “I was interested in it, so I talked to Coach Lilly, and he seemed really excited about me doing it.”

Helgeson did not go into his first game as the announcer alone. Pat Collins, the Xavier boys’ announcer, walked Helgeson through each step for three games.

“The first time I announced alone, we were playing against Decorah,” Helgeson said. “I was freaking out, but I got the girls’ sophomore/jv game to warm-up. By the time the varsity game came, I was no longer nervous and was just having fun.”

Although it is only Helgeson’s first year announcing, he has found enjoyment out of it.

“I love announcing the games,” Helgeson said. “It’s teaching me a lot of things about the game that I didn’t know about (I didn’t know a lot). I am now able to hold a semi-intelligent conversation about basketball.”

Besides announcing at games, Helgeson is also involved in: speech, show choir, choir, trapshooting, track, and football.

The next time you can see Helgeson in action is Saturday, February 10 at 6 p.m. for the Saints’ last seasonal home game.