Francois pins passion

Max Hoxie, Sports Writer

Wrestling requires not only dedication, but discipline over both the mind and body. This is no easy task, but for senior Alex Francois, wrestling has been a part of his life since a young age. “I was always encouraged to do wrestling by my dad. However, I stopped wrestling at one point,” Francois said. “I decided to start back up again in eighth grade after realizing how much I missed and enjoyed it.” Francois also believes wrestling is a perfect mix of teamwork and individuality. “I like how you can always help your teammates off the mat and help them prepare, but when it comes time to wrestle, it is just you,” Francois said. “That makes victory feel even better, but also makes defeat sting more.” The hard work that comes with wrestling makes winning feel even greater. When looking back, Francois can recall countless good memories of wrestling, but his favorite was his sophomore year match in which he defeated Kennedy’s then-junior, Dalles Jacobus by a score of 15-13. Despite having fond memories of his past victories, Francois is going into his next meets with a level head. Francois hopes his hard work during the offseason will help him meet his goals. “My goals are to qualify for state and then place at state,” Francois said. “I have worked out during the off season with a wrestling club, as well as during the season. I work as hard as I can at every practice.” Francois and the Saints will compete at the Clyde Bean Duals on Saturday, January 21 at Iowa City High School. Meet time is 9 a.m.