Sophomore swimmer shines

Mahlon Steepleton, Sports Writer

Rory Bostwick is an up-and-coming swimmer for the boys’ swim team. He is a sophomore who has been swimming for Washington High School since seventh grade. Bostwick’s events include the 100-butterfly, 200 individual medley, 200 medley relay and the 400 freestyle. “My favorite part about swimming is the feeling when you win a race and set a personal record after lots of hard work,” Bostwick said. “We have a great group of guys and have an amazing team chemistry.” Although Bostwick enjoys swimming, it also present challenges. “The hardest part about morning practice is getting out of bed and getting into the cold pool at the start of practice,” Bostwick said. Bostwick is up at 5 a.m. and is at Washington by 5:30 a.m. for practice. “I get up at that time because I need to get better,” Bostwick said. Bostwick is inspired by a lot of people, but the person he looks up to the most is another sophomore, James Breitbart. “I look up to James because he has a great work ethic and gets better every day,” Bostwick said. “Plus, he was able to make varsity as a sophomore.” Teammate George Durin thinks Bostwick has a lot of potential. “So far this season, he has swam a couple of varsity races, and he has the potential to make the district team,” Durin said. On January 10, Bostwick won the 200 freestyle relay, placed third in the 50 freestyle, and placed third in the 200 medley relay. Bostwick’s advice for any new swimmer is to work hard. “You do not have to be good, but if you work hard and have motivation, then swimming can be a lot of fun,” Bostwick said. The Warriors next meet is Saturday, January 21 at 12:30 p.m. at Linn-Mar High School. Mahlon Steepleton Sports Writer