Tales of a barista

Senior Nick Drahozal poses with a delicious Caribou Coffee beverage. Amanda Johanson Photo.

Nick Drahozal, Opinion Co-Editor

Ever since I consumed my first taste of a Starbucks grande Double Chocolate-Chip Frappuccino in fifth grade, I knew I wanted to be a barista at a coffee shop. It has taken me many years to actually acquire that certain job at a coffee chain, but I have finally achieved my dream. Even though I initially wanted to be a barista at Starbucks, I found something even better: a little slice of heaven called Caribou Coffee. Last summer, I decided it was time to take on another job. I felt I had enough free time and I wanted to make more money. I decided that Hy-Vee was the perfect place for me. I went to their website expecting to apply for courtesy. I looked at open positions, and to my utter excitement, I saw their in-store Caribou Coffee had an opening. I applied and got the job. Working at a coffee shop comes with many strange occurrences. The amount of times I have been asked to blend up full pieces of fruit in our blender is ridiculous. I always say I am not able to blend up a whole apple, but I’ve secretly wanted to try it. I have never done it because I actually like my job and don’t want to be fired. Another strange occurrence that happened was when a man asked for a cup of scalding hot water with a single pump of dark chocolate syrup. It was as gross to make as it sounds. I have accidentally blended four drinks without the blender lid on. I just get so excited to be able to make someone a delicious beverage that I forget. My co-workers are not even slightly fazed when I make a gigantic mess. At Caribou, we make our own whipped cream using carbon dioxide canisters. If you have never worked with these canisters, I recommend you keep it that way. I feel utter terror every time I am forced to make whipped cream. I have been the reason behind multiple explosions of whipped cream, and when I say explosions, I mean it. Let’s just say I have had to mop the walls multiple times. Although these stories may make you think that I am horrible at my job, I can ensure you I’m not. You would be surprised by the amount of tips I have received. I don’t mean to brag, but I am good at my job. Having a job in high school has taught me so many lessons. I am now able to be more independent, manage my time better, and appreciate the worth of a dollar. I feel so rewarded every time I receive my check. Many say that high school is their job, but high school doesn’t pay you any money! Having a job is fun! Even though some days are not the best, they will always be memorable.