Daniels starts varsity career

Mahlon Steepleton, Sports Writer

This year, the Xavier girls’ basketball team looks to start and finish strong in the MVC. They plan to not just qualify, but make a deep run in the state tournament. The Saints upperclassman starters this season include seniors Kylie Brown, Lexi Noonan, and  Kiana Stanek, and junior Amelia Ivester. The fifth starter will be freshman Caitlynn Daniels.

“It’s a cool and humbling experience to start varsity,” Daniels said. “It will be a lot of fun playing with the upperclassmen.”

Daniels did a lot in the offseason to prepare for this upcoming season.

Most teams set goals at the start of the season. Daniels has also set some goals of her own.

“Our team goal is to make it to state,” Daniels said. “I personally want to get better every game and improve my ball-handling skills.”

Although, Daniels has a lot of role model on the team, she mostly looks up to one particular senior, Kiana Stanek.

Stanek feels honored that Daniels looks up to her.

“She  (Stanek) is a good role model, and makes a lot of three pointers, which I’m hoping to do this upcoming season,” Daniels said.

Stanek is one of the four senior captains on the team.

“Being a captain is great opportunity. There are three other captains as well, and it’s been amazing so far,” Stanek said. “We try as hard as we can to make it a positive environment for all of the girls.”

The Saints won  their season opener on November 22, against Decorah with a score of 62-26. They then lost Saturday, November 26, at home  against 5A No. 9 ranked Johnston  in a non-conference match-up.

The girls played Tuesday, November 29, at Dubuque Wahlert, and they play at home on Friday, December 2 vs. Iowa City West