Xavier faculty members teach religious education

Lizzie Leu, News Writer

Some teachers at Xavier High School double as religious education catechist aides at parishes around Cedar Rapids. In 2008, Father David O’Connor was looking for someone to prepare the second graders of All Saints Parish for the sacrament of First Communion. Current Xavier theology teacher Mr. Dan Thraen stepped up to take the position and has been teaching religious education (RE) at All Saints Parish for the past eight years. Over the years, Mr. Thraen has acquired more and more responsibilities as an RE teacher. He also conducts the children’s Liturgy of the Word on Sundays, teaches vacation bible school in the summer, and works as the coordinator for Confirmation classes at All Saints.

“It’s pretty simple. I’ve been doing it for so long it’s like second nature,” Mr. Thraen said. “I’ve been doing religious education at a parish for 18 years now.”

For Mr. Thraen, the most rewarding part of the job is seeing his students receive their sacraments. “The first class of second graders I taught are now freshmen here at Xavier,” Mr. Thraen said. “It’s kind of weird seeing them as second graders and then watching them grow up to become high schoolers.”

Similarly, Xavier theology teacher Ms. Kristin Soukup took a position at St. Patrick’s Parish as  a Youth Minister and began teaching Confirmation classes there last year. As a youth minister, she organizes and runs middle and high school youth programs and events, such as Steubenville Youth Conference and monthly youth nights at St. Patrick’s. Ms. Soukup also facilitates meetings and events for young adults in the Parish. This position gave her the opportunity to attend World Youth Day in Poland this past summer.

“It is difficult at times because of the varying schedules of each,” Ms. Soukup said. “I enjoy the variety but it is a challenge at the same time.” She additionally teaches Confirmation to young Catholics seeking to fulfill their baptismal promise. Each week, she meets with her students and has the chance to get to know them better. They discuss questions about God, Catholic faith, and other topics of the students’ interest. “I enjoy seeing them every week and discussing whatever topics come up,” Ms. Soukup said.

Some of the students that Ms. Soukup guides through religious education and youth ministry are also students at Xavier. “I really like being able to see them both at school and outside of school,” she said. “Whether it’s Confirmation class, a youth conference, or volunteering,   to see them in different settings is a unique opportunity.”