Gems of Hope hosts fundraisers

Ellie Fischer, News Writer

On October 19, Saints had the opportunity to donate to Gems of Hope while enjoying ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery in Cedar Rapids.

Gems of Hope is a nonprofit organization that brings hope and support to cancer patients and their families. The Youth Advisory Board for the organization consists of student representatives from high schools across the Cedar Rapids area. This year, Xavier has six representatives: Kristin Collins, Erin Hassenstab, Katie Janney, Emily O’Rourke, Maddix Stovie, and Chase Wertzberger.

Members of the Youth Advisory Board served the ice cream to customers at Cold Stone for their monthly fundraiser.

“It went way better than expected,” Collins said. “The workers at Cold Stone said it was the biggest turnout for a fundraiser they’ve ever had.”

Gems of Hope raised $100.99 at the Cold Stone event. This money, along with the $105 they raised at last month’s Firehouse Subs fundraiser, will go toward a scholarship fund for a high school student who has been affected by cancer. This year, the Youth Advisory Board aims to raise enough money to make two scholarships available.

For their November event, Gems of Hope hosted the annual “Battle of 42nd Street” on November 5 at Xavier High School. Saints battled the Kennedy Cougars in a competition to create cards for cancer patients and their families. At this year’s event, over 640 cards were made and distributed to families affected by cancer.