Multi-Sport Athletes

Multi-Sport+Athletes

Max Hoxie, Sports Writer

Xavier  students  strive to be the best in the classroom and on the field, but this is no easy task. Student athletes  have to meet the criteria of not only their teachers, but also of their coaches. Balancing  a demanding education as well as the rigorous requirements of being an athlete  does not come easily, especially when you are a multi-sport athlete.

Excellence in the classroom and on the field is no easy task, but senior Josh Gerke is not one to back down from a challenge. Gerke is not only a Xavier student, but also a member of the football, wrestling, and track team.

“I make sure I stay on top of everything. It can be hard at night to study or complete homework after a long day of class and practice, but I kind of get into a routine each year,” Gerke said.

Passion is what inspires Gerke to give his best at school and sports. Practicing, playing games, and cutting weight throughout the year requires absolute dedication.

“My favorite sport would have to be wrestling,” Gerke said. “I say this because I feel it can be one of the most challenging sports, especially when you have to cut weight during the season as well. It makes winning that much more satisfying knowing all those sacrifices paid off.”

Gerke has already cemented his legacy on the wrestling mat by achieving 100 career wins last year as well as winning the MVC title in 2016. Gerke and the Saints football team travel to Waverly-Shell Rock  on October 7. Kick-off is at 7:30.