Xavier students earn leadership recognition

Peyton Recker, News Writer

“Inspiring and Shaping the Future of Our Youth” is the mission statement of the National Council on Youth Leadership (NCYL). This mission statement was upheld on September 18 and 19, when students from area schools gathered at Kirkwood Community College and Mount Mercy University to learn about leadership. Carole Harder, the director and founder of the council, is committed to recognizing and fostering the ideals of leadership and integrity in the youth of America. “Our greatest ability in life is the freedom to choose,” Harder said.

Harder invited high school students from Alburnett, Anamosa, Belle Plaine, Benton, Cedar Point-Urbana, Central City, Jefferson, Kennedy, Linn-Mar, Marion, Midland, Monticello, North Cedar, North Linn, Prairie, Springville, Washington, and Xavier to participate in the 36th Annual NCYL Youth Salute. Speakers from the community shared their personal leadership experiences, motivational messages for accomplishing future goals, advice for proper interviews, and other life skills. Among the speakers were Dr. Kara Heying (optometrist), Ted Kepros (president of Kepros Physical Therapy), Trace Pickering (co-creator of Iowa BIG), Lura McBride (CEO of VanMeter Industrial), Tim Charles (CEO of Mercy Hospital), Mary Blacharski (NCYL project manager), and Greg Stokes (former Iowa Hawkeye and Philadelphia 76ers basketball player).

Harder and sponsoring businesses have created ten different scholarship awards over the years for the most deserving NCYL participants. Award winners are selected based on a written essay, an interview, and initiative shown during the conference.

“My favorite part about NCYL was meeting and talking to other seniors in this area,” senior Liz Hessman said. Hessman, along with seniors Emiko Coffey, Peter Deegan, Chandler DeWees, Ellie Fischer, and Ryan Jasper were awarded with scholarships. Peter Greubel (Washington) and Arshi Munjal (Kennedy) were awarded the two largest scholarships and named the “Outstanding Youth Leaders of the Year.”