Blood is thicker than water

Max Hoxie, Sports Writer

They say that siblings bring out the best in each other. This is what junior Sarah and freshman Maddie Gannon will be hoping for as they dive into the pool for a new season. Both girls are representing Xavier through the Kennedy co-op swim team.

“I started swimming at the age of five when I still lived in Birmingham, Alabama. My parents signed me up for swim team despite the fact that I hated the water. At first, I was not very good, but I began to enjoy swimming more,” Sarah said. “This passion is what drove me to get better. I looked for trainers, coaches, and nutritionists. These people believed in me and eventually helped me get 3rd place in the 400 individual medley Iowa Long course Championship when I was 12.”

Sarah’s sister Maddie also began swimming at a very young age.

The Gannon sisters both began preseason on the morning of August 9 at Kennedy High School. The first part of this rigorous journey involved two hours of swimming followed by a break. The swimmers would return in the afternoon to do an hour of dry land practice, followed by another hour of swimming. This was the daily routine of the swimmers for the next two weeks.

“I wake up at five in the morning and pack my bag for swimming before I drive to Kennedy. By the time I get there, it’s still really dark and cold,” Sarah said when describing early morning practices. “Once I go inside I stretch and talk to my coach. Then I hop into the freezing cold water at 5:45. I do all of this because I love to get better and know that it will all pay off in the end.”

Being the younger of the two sisters, there was some pressure on Maddie to perform well. Rather than hiding from it, she is planning on embracing the challenge.

“Being on the same swim team as Sarah doesn’t pressure me, it makes me work harder,” freshman Maddie said.

“I’m really competitive so if I see Sarah is beating me, I try even harder. I probably wouldn’t be as good as I am now without her because she has really helped me during the rough spots in my career. No matter how either of our days went we are still sisters and friends.”

The Kennedy girls’ swim team’s first meet was on August 23 at Kennedy High School for a dual meet against Cedar Falls. Kennedy won the meet 98 to 88. The team will be competing against Washington High School at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, September 20.