Freshmen: Seven pieces of advice

Anna Weih, Opinion Editor

As I pass by the class of 2020 in the halls, I feel a sense of nostalgia. It seems like just yesterday I was walking into my first day of freshman year as a brace faced 14 year old. Being the oldest in my family, I had no idea what high school was going to be like. I was not prepared for the endless hours of homework and the many sleepless nights to come. Looking back on my three years at Xavier, there are definitely some things I would do differently. Freshmen, listen up, this article is for you.

1.Get involved. I’m sure this is the 100th time you’ve heard someone say this, but it really is important. Join as many activities and clubs as you can. Whether you are interested in service, gardening, or spanish history, Xavier has a club that will be perfect for you. It is a great way to meet new people and get involved through school.

2.Attend as many Xavier related events as possible. Do not just go to the football games. Stop by a show choir competition, a wrestling match, or the fall musical to support all of the departments. Everyone works equally as hard for their game or performance so show them all just as much love.

3.FRESHMEN, FRESHMEN DON’T BE SHY, SHOUTOUT YOUR BATTLE CRY! Freshmen, with this being said, CHEER AT THE FOOTBALL GAMES. You may think that your voice can’t be heard because you are standing in the back row of the bleachers, but I promise you that it is cool to cheer. Have school spirit and be proud to be a Xavier Saint. The football season is short and it will be over before you know it. Enjoy your time under the Friday night lights cheering on the best team.

4.Study hard. Those weekly Biology quizzes may seem like a trivial thing on your to do list, but they are very important. It seems almost impossible to raise your GPA after a few bad grades. If you start with a solid GPA, the next three years of your life will be so much easier. Do not stress yourself out too much, but try your hardest. Your grades will reflect the work you put forth.

5.Make friends with your teachers. Contrary to popular belief, most teachers are actually cool. They are your number one fans. They want you to succeed and they will do everything in their power to help you get there. Go in before and after school and make an effort to get to know them. They will be helpful beyond belief in your later high school years.

6.Be friends with everyone. There may be some people you do not particularly get along with, but high school is too short to hold grudges over pointless drama. Talk to people outside of your friend group and sit with different people at lunch. Do not wait until senior year to become close with your classmates.

7.Respect the pecking order. Being a freshmen may be annoying at times because upperclassmen like to use their power as much as they can. You will have to go to the end of the lunch line and sit in the back bleachers for football games. Understand that this happens to every freshmen class. Your time to rule the school will come soon enough.

All of this advice may seem overwhelming, but try to take it to heart. These things will help you survive this year and the rest of high school. Freshmen, welcome to Xavier, and get ready for the best four years of your life. You’ll remember these years forever.