Aid floods into Louisiana

Peyton Recker, News Writer

The largest natural disaster of the  summer extended over ten days in mid-August, when the state of Louisiana underwent continuous rainfall. The catastrophe unleashed approximately seven trillion gallons of rainwater, resulting in an unprecedented amount of flooding. The floods caused a total of 13 deaths and destroyed thousands of homes and other buildings.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the National and Coast Guards, local law enforcement, and other residents helped evacuate more than 30,000 of those affected, leading about 11,000 to shelter after the first two days of rain.

“This disaster is the worst to hit the United States since Superstorm Sandy,” Red Cross Vice President Brad Kierserman said. “We anticipate it will cost at least $30 million- a number which may grow as we learn more about the scope and magnitude of the devastation.”

Aware of the immense devastation, the most recent Mass collection at Xavier went toward relief efforts. “The recipients of the collection money are chosen by students,” Campus Ministry director Mrs. Jody Esker said. “Campus Ministry students meet to plan out the liturgy and one decision that is made is where the collection money should go for the particular liturgy we are planning.”

The team of students decided on the Catholic Charities of Louisiana as the recipient of the  Back-to-School Mass collection. This specific organization is part of the Mamie George Community Center, a program that provides food and financial support, along with long-term management assistance for flood victims. The program has been working alongside the Fort Bend County Office of Emergency Management, United Way, Red Cross, the Fort Bend County Social Services, local nonprofits, and churches to coordinate recovery procedures for families.