Journey to Nationals

Rachel Meyer, News Writer

page1image55994992

Thousands of students from around the country working towards one common goal: to grow their skills in and out of the classroom. From February 20 to 22, 28 sophomore, junior and senior Xavier students competed at the state Business Professionals of America (BPA) leadership conference in Des Moines, Iowa. BPA provides students with opportunities to further their knowledge and prepare themselves for future careers in the business realm. Xavier’s 28 students competed in a total of 86 events, finishing in the top 10 for 59 of these events. Eighteen students qualified in 35 events for nationals held in Dallas, Texas on May 4 to 8. The 18 students are: Natalie Allen, Anne Baumann, Brooke Bowersox, Riley Braksiek, Ana Cawley, Jake Dougherty, Danielle Felderman, William Grainger, Paige Hacke, Brady Horstmann, Noah Jordebrek, Jordan Junge, Faith Karl, Eli Koopmann, Jessica Lyon, Katie Nachman, John Pithan and Elena Schmit. Mrs. Amanda Allard, Xavier’s advisor for BPA, works with the students when they need project feedback, guidance and practice tests. She comments on why she enjoys being an advisor. “I wanted to and enjoy being an advisor because BPA allows students to grow and learn at a different level than the classroom provides. I also like it because it is so fun to see kids get excited about their success,” Allard said. Students started working on their BPA presentations in the beginning of February. They prepared for their events by making scripts, recording podcasts and studying for the tests. A majority of the students worked on their projects after school, late at night and early in the morning. Some of the events include podcasts, digital media, interview skills, HR management, medical technology and more. On the day of the BPA conference, the students either take a test or present their event to the judges. The judges score the students based on presentation, preparation and knowledge of the topic. Junior Danielle Felderman comments on her appreciation for BPA. “BPA is a great opportunity to develop new skills and meet new people. We are able to improve our individual business skills, while also learning helpful teamwork skills. I am so excited to go to nationals and I’m glad that all of the time spent preparing and studying paid off,” junior Danielle Felderman said. BPA is expanding rapidly throughout the nation as more students become interested in being involved in the competitions. The organization has 55,000 members with 2,300 chapters in 23 states and Puerto Rico. Although the 18 students may choose not to attend nationals, it is said their hard work has paid off.