Dancing with a purpose

Seth Williams, Assistant Sports Editor

In 2021, over 57% of high school students were involved in a sport according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Students have many different reasons for participating in sports in high school; some people enjoy the competition, while others just want to be with their friends. Whatever the reason, each person dedicates themselves to striving towards a goal and working with their teammates to achieve it. The 2021-22 Xavier Dance Team will be remembered not only for their dominant performances but also for what they did off the stage. The dance team competed at the state meet at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines during the first week of December. The team placed first in the state for class VII for hip-hop and second in class X for Pom. Reegan Flugge (X23) placed fourth, Sara Gundacker (X22) placed third and Alyssa Ramler (X23) placed first in their solos. Ramler was proud of her performance at state but had her eyes set on their next competition: nationals. “It was such a good feeling that we did good with our routines,” Ramler said. “At nationals I’m looking forward to bonding with my teammates and hopefully placing well.” Among the trophies the team and soloists brought home from state, one award stands out: the Character Counts Team of the Year award. The character award is given to the team that demonstrates outstanding sportsmanship and community service. Senior Berkley Johnson (X22) reflected on what it means to accomplish so much at state. “It came as such a shock that we won the Character Counts Team of the Year award at state, but it was such a cool moment. Our coach was so proud of us, and it was cool to see our actions and volunteer efforts made a difference in their eyes,” Johnson said. “The team has grown so close this year as we have had much more opportunities out of practice to bond together.” Not only will this team remember their incredible performances but they also will remember the special moments shared between teammates. Working together to positively affect their community and accomplish their goals is why the 2021-22 Xavier Dance teams legacy will be cemented in Xavier history. The dance team is looking to add to their impressive accomplishments as they left for nationals in Florida on February 16.