Differences bringing people together

Ava Hunt, News Editor

Robert Alan Aurthur, an American screenwriter, once said, “Cultural differences should not separate us from each other, but rather cultural diversity brings a collective strength that can benefit all of humanity.” On February 10, Xavier High School had its seventh annual Cultural Fair hosted by the Spanish Club. This event took place in the Commons and involved over 30 students representing more than ten countries around the world. Thepurposeoftheeventwastogive information to and engage Xavier studentsinlearningaboutdifferent countries and cultures. Señora Vicki Hoffman, Xavier Spanish teacher and Spanish Club moderator, shares the importance of this event. “Spanish classes are so much more than just memorizing vocabulary and learning grammar. It is about keeping current on news and events taking place around the world,” Hoffman said. “It is about getting to know other people by talking to each other, working together, problem solving together and celebrating together. What better way to start gaining an interest and curiosity in global events, food, music and more than with the Cultural Fair at school.” Not only did this event include information from Xavier students on different cultures but there were also outside members of the community who came to further spread the message of cultural diversity and understanding. Spanish Professor Belkis Suarez from Mount Mercy University was present and taught Salsa dance lessons to the Xavier students. Senior Abby Globokar, a Spanish Club representative, shares her excitement about this event and some insight into her role in organizing it. “As a Spanish Club representative, the Cultural Fair is my favorite event of the year! As fun as it is to have Spanish Club meetings throughout the year, the Cultural Fair is so special because we get to share the fun with people outside of the club,” Globokar said. “For the event, I am helping to welcome our guest, Belkis, and overseeing everything to make sure it all goes smoothly.” Globokar exhibits her passion for other cultures through more than just Spanish Club involvement, as she also plans to study abroad next year to further her knowledge of different cultures. She was recently accepted as an outbound student for Rotary Youth Exchange for the 2022-2023 year, meaning that she will be studying at a high school in a foreign country to continue her education. Globokar shares more about why she is passionate about cultural education and its importance in society. “I think it is really important to learn about other cultures because in order to truly understand one another, we must be able to see the world from other people’s point of view. Educating ourselves about other cultures is the first step in creating a world of true peace and understanding,” Globokar said. “I really wanted to study abroad because I believe that a complete cultural education stems outside of the classroom and having real world experiences with other cultures is a great way to gain a better understanding of people with different backgrounds. I genuinely believe that cultural understanding is the basis of a world of true peace.” In addition to the Cultural Fair at Xavier, people can learn more about different cultures in several ways, whether that is online research or time studying abroad. Learn more about different cultures by seeking out sources of information online and in the community.