The season of giving

Victoria Gomez, News Writer

The American Red Cross estimates that each year 6.8 million people make the decision to donate blood. The Battle of 42nd Street Blood Drive gives students of Xavier and Kennedy High School that opportunity to make a difference. ImpactLife, formerly known as the Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center, has organized this event for more than 11 years and, this year, it was held on Monday, December 6 and Tuesday, December 7. With last year’s COVID-19 restrictions, fewer donors showed up to the 2020 blood drive. In 2019, there were 72 donations throughout the two day span but, in 2020, there were only 53 pints of blood and 65 appointments. This year, 52 appointments were scheduled. Due to the rapid spread of COVID-19 last year, some restrictions were tightened for the 2021 blood drive. These donors now had to be in prime health (no fever, cough, etcetera) to be able to participate in the event. To donate, there was no need for a COVID-19 vaccination but, if a person was unvaccinated and did not wear a mask around someone showing symptoms, they could not donate. The blood drive gave Xavier and Kennedy a chance to compete in a more stress free way. While the prize was just bragging rights, the schools came together to save lives.With the drive being held at Oakland Church of the Nazarene, it also gave other people in the community a chance to donate, including teachers and parents. Xavier High School Nurse Naeve sees an importance to donating at this event. “Blood is in high demand. Ever since COVID-19 it has been in even shorter supply. Holidays are typically a time that they [ImpactLife] struggle to get donors so it has hit ImpactLife even harder, which, in turn, impacts our community,” Naeve said. This year, ImpactLife was expecting around 50 donors between Xavier and Kennedy over the two day span. One of the donors was Xavier High School junior, Vivian Odubasa, who gave her answer as to why she donates. “I turned 16 this summer so this is the first year I am able to donate but I love doing it. I think it is important for people to donate because it is good to help others especially when it is something it is as easy as giving blood,” Odubasa said. After donating at the blood drive, people have to wait 56 days to donate again. Find the next drive in the community by going to www.bloodcenter.org.