Raising the flag

LuciAnne Nguyen, News Assistant Editor

As John F. Kennedy once said, “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” Every year on November 11, the United States celebrates Veterans Day, as the nation sets aside the day to thank and honor all those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces. This year, the Juan Diego Community was in charge of planning Veterans Day at Xavier High School. Traditionally, Xavier has a mass dedicated to Veterans Day, as well as a flag raising ceremony. Xavier was not able to hold a mass this year due to a school mass the following week for Thanksgiving. However, the flag raising, which is a ceremony that represents all veterans is still being held. Alumnus USAF Lt. Col. Miller (R98) was present in this raising, and Junior Alec Battien (X23) offered his talents on the trumpet. Maci Schimberg, Juan Diego Community Captain, commented on its prominence. “It is important to not only honor our veterans in general but our Xavier alumni and members of the Xavier community that have served in the service. Veterans and those in the service have done so much for our country and deserve a day of recognition and respect,” Schimberg said. Students and faculty have many stories of their loved ones who served in the U.S. Armed Forces, noting their bravery and strength. “My great-grandpa was fighting in World War II when someone threw a grenade in his pit. My great grandpa then picked up the grenade and threw it out, severely injuring his hand but saving him and everyone else in the pit,” freshman Gwen Schwendeman said. “I think it is always important to remember and respect those who have died to protect us.” Whether it is by writing letters to them, listening to their stories or having a meal with them, go and take the time to thank the veterans in the community.