One last run

Ali Schuchmann, Sports Writer

Kinner posing at the state qualifying meet in Decorah, Iowa on October 20, 2021. Photo Submitted by Kinner.

Adrenaline rushes through the runners body as they wait at the starting line, and anticipation builds up as they listen for the words “On your mark” and the gunshot. The Xavier Boys Cross Country team laced up their running shoes and experienced this situation on Wednesday October 20 for the Cross Country State Qualifying Meet at Oneota Golf and Country Club in Decorah, Iowa. For class 3A, 15 individuals can qualify for the state meet. Senior Randall Kinner was one of the 15 runners, achieving a 9th place finishwiththetimeof17.40. Kinner was able to run in the state meet on Friday, October 29. “Having my hard work pay off over the last 4 years to make state makes me very grateful to be a part of the Xavier cross country legacy and inspire the future team members,” Kinner said. Sophomore Marcus Camacho also attended the state qualifying meet. There, he had a great growing experience. “I would say that the biggest thing that I learned from the state qualifying meet is that keeping things consistent throughout the season is the best way to get through meets, for example wearing a timing chip on the same foot or even making sure I have my inhaler before I run,” Camacho said. “This has helped me grow by allowing me to identify in what conditions I run my best so that I can do so more often.” Kinner also experienced great benefits from being a part of this team as well. “Because of cross country I have been able to grow as a runner,” Kinner said. “I have also grown immensely as a person because of the bonds I have developed from the team.” The leadership from Kinner has inspired Camacho to push himself harder. “Randall has pushed me the way that any teammate would. He expects a lot out of everyone. Having that expectation coming from him can help but it can also be a pretty annoying burden,” Camacho said Although Randall does not have future plans to run cross country in college, he wants to continue running and training on his own.