End of the road

Ali Schuchmann, Sports Writer

Xavier Boys Varsity golf team poses together at Bunker Hill Golf Course on September 9,2021. Photo Submitted.

Author Miles J. Stanford once said, “The end is just a new beginning.” As the Xavier Boys Golf Team season is coming to a close, there are many accomplishments to recognize and goals to get started on for next year. This year, the team had a record of 10-0 in the regular season, won the Mississippi Valley Conference (MVC) Quad meet at home and won the MVC divisional meet at Bunker Hill golf course. Their success did not end there.In addition, there were multiple personal records set and many players received postseason honors. Juniors Charlie Allen, and Ryan Schmit received first team all-conference honors along with sophomores Quincey Johnson and Garrett Nurre. Freshman Grant Allen received Second Team All-Conference and senior Will Grainger was Honorable Mention. Along with conference honors, Grant received First Team All-Metro, Johnson and Nurre receivedSecond Team All-Metro, and Schmit was awarded with All- Metro Honorable Mention. The golf team’s success comes with no surprise after the countless hours they put into the sport during the season and off season.“Over the off-season as a team we go to Elmcrest to practice and play together. It is really great for improving our skills and growing as a team. We also use it to push each other to get better and work harder every day in hopes of having a great season next year and making the state tournament,” Schmit said. Even with all of the achievements, the team had no shortage of fun memories. “Coach running out of gas on the side of the interstate was my favorite memory of this season,” Charlie said. Although this season did not end how they wanted it to, the Saints are already starting to prepare for next season. Junior Henry Eipert is excited for what the next season holds. “My goal for next year is to improve my mental game and play better under pressure. I am looking forward to another year playing with the team next season,” Eipert said. With many returning players next year, the Saints are not going to be easy to beat. The team dynamic is already established and Flanagan has high hopes for next season. “The kids worked hard all year and everyone made progress throughout the season. I believe that next year we will be able to win a state championship for sure,” Flanagan said. Seniors Will Grainger and Dylan Bohon made a big impact this year and they will be greatly missed next year. The juniors are ready to step into their new leadership roles and hopefully  have another successful season.