Team vs. competition

Kyla Johnson, Sports Writer

Former marathon runner Priscilla Welch once said, “If you want to become the best runner you can be, start now. Don’t spend the rest of your life wondering if you can do it.” This fall, the boys on the cross country team have been working hard and supporting each other while preparing for their meets. Cross country can be an unique environment considering that the athletes are competing against their own teammates. However, this does not hurt the team environment but actually helps the team motivate each other, especially for experienced runners like junior Alec Battien. “As a team, we always do the workout together and as we are in a team huddle, yell our motto ‘Why not us?’” Battien said. Their motto signifies that, even if they are an underdog team, they can bring a strong, positive mindset to compete with the ranked teams in the meets. Practicing with their teammates also helps to prepare them for their races since they will be competing against each other. Running alongside a teammate in practice encourages them to compete harder in a race especially when they see their teammate in a race. My biggest motivation on the team is Marcus Camacho [X24]. He and I are super competitive, especially with each other as we run about the same times. Running with Marcus in practice is very similar to a race because we always motivate each other and push each other to be better than the other,” Battien said. Marcus Camacho is a sophomore on the cross country team and has experienced the environment and community of the team. The support and encouragement of their teammates really pushes the runners to perform the best they can. “The effect my team has on me during competitions is great. I don’t think I would have the amount of success and growth without them,” Camacho said. Although COVID-19 took away the boys cross country 2019 season, the Xavier Booster Club stepped up to help make sure Cross Country teams will be stronger than ever for the coming years. Xavier Booster Club has supported the boys cross country team bouncing back from the pandemic by raising $1,100 for a team tent. The Xavier team tent is at the meets for the runners to relax under while they are not racing. “The new tent was a definite moral booster for the team. During warm meets it’s nice to hang out under the shade while we wait for our races,” Camacho said. The Varsity Boys Cross Country runners will be running their next race at Hart Ridge Golf Course in Manchester, Iowa on Tuesday October 5th. The meet will begin at 4:15 p.m.