Davis to retire at semester

Gwen Cataldo, News Writer

After 44 years working as an educator, Xavier librarian Ms. Dee Davis has decided to retire. Ms. Davis has worked at Regis and Xavier for the majority of her career. However, these are not the only schools Ms. Davis has worked over the years. Ms. Davis also worked as a middle school English teacher and at an education agency for five years in Clear Lake, Iowa. She also taught members of the military English and writing skills in Berlin, Germany. It was at Regis and Xavier, however, that Ms. Davis spent most of her time. Part of the reason she spent most of her time in Catholic schools was the students.
“The most amazing thing for me was watching the students grow up from ninth graders to seniors, and then seeing what they did later as adults,” Ms. Davis said. “Working with the students has been a wonderful experience for me.”
Many Xavier students feel the same way about their experience working with Ms. Davis.
“I enjoy talking about modern things like books and movies,” sophomore Cody Freeberg said.
Other students have enjoyed the opportunity to learn from Ms. Davis, as her knowledge of books is extensive.
“I will miss the opportunity to ask Ms. Davis for advice on closed stack books and thesis statements for my research papers,” junior Kaitryn Williams said. “She always recommends great books for me to use.”
Recently, Ms. Davis decided that her time as an educator will come to a close. In her free time, she plans to do many things, including traveling, reading, and watching movies. Ms. Davis will miss many things about Xavier, such as the performing arts productions, and the many students she has gotten to know over the years. She will always remember her time at both Regis and Xavier fondly.
“I feel very blessed and lucky to be able to select Regis and Xavier as places to work for a very long time,” Ms. Davis said. “It was a good choice for me, and I am very glad I made that choice.”