Zeckser serves in a new role

Jack Delaney

As humans grow, they are taught to find things they are passionate about and to work hard at those things. One Xavier teacher is taking something she is passionate about and doing it in a different way.

Xavier theology teacher Mrs. Laura Zeckser is a new assistant coach for the girls’ tennis teams.  She joins head coach Matt Foxhoven and assistant coach Elizabeth Wright. She works primarily with the junior varsity (JV) team but helps out with the varsity team as well. 

She began playing at the age of four, practicing with her family. She also played at Waterloo Columbus High School with her sister. With all of this experience under her belt, getting to be an assistant coach for the Xavier girls’ tennis teams was the perfect opportunity for her.

“I have always loved being on the tennis courts,” Zeckser said. “I have played for as long as I can remember. Growing up, I spent my summers on the courts, either playing or teaching lessons.”

Being a teacher at Xavier, Zeckser enjoys getting to see the girls both in the classroom and after school at practice.

“Being on the courts after school is one of the best parts of my day,” Zeckser said. “We have such a great group of athletes playing on the teams this year who are also amazing people.”

Zeckser’s love for tennis has radiated to the girls on the teams. Senior Miyako Coffey, who plays on the varsity team, talked about how it is a great benefit to the team having her both as a teacher and a coach.

“She [Zeckser] adds a good energy to the teams,” Coffey said. “It is always fun to have one of your teachers as a coach and it is fun talking to her in class about tennis and being able to relate to her in that way. You can tell how much she enjoys the sport.”

Freshman Katie Hurkett has enjoyed having Zeckser as her JV coach this year. Unlike Coffey, she is meeting Zeckser for the first time in Zeckser’s new role.

“It’s nice to have her as a coach so I can get to know her before I have her as a teacher,” Hurkett said. “She’s helped me like tennis more because she is a supportive coach and always makes it enjoyable.  She pushes us to play our hardest and does not get mad when we make mistakes.”

With this being Zeckser’s first year in the coaching role, Coffey discussed how she thinks Zeckser will continue to add a lot to the program for this season and many more to come.

“I think it will be really good to have another set of eyes watching us and giving us feedback. Sometimes we need that pressure of someone else watching us and telling us what to do to improve,” Coffey said. “I am so glad I am graduating knowing that the girls will continue to be in good hands. Mrs. Zeckser will help girls’ tennis get the attention we need inside the school. With the addition of Mrs. Zeckser, girls’ tennis has a really strong coaching staff that will help the program tremendously and will last a long time.”

Head Coach Foxhoven also inserted his input on how Zeckser will help their program succeed.

“Coach Zeckser has been a great addition to our program. She played for a legendary tennis program in high school so she understands what it takes to have success,” Foxhoven said. “The girls are able to ask her questions or come to her when they may not feel too confident about their game and she does a great job of making them feel comfortable on the tennis courts.”

Zeckser talked about how she is grateful for the girls’ dedication and how this makes her time on the courts most enjoyable.

“The girls are learning new skills, working hard and having fun when they play,” Zeckser said. “I feel very lucky to be one of their coaches!”

The team will close out their regular season on Tuesday, May 4 in a match against Iowa City High School at 4:00 p.m. at Xavier.