Celebrating unconditional love

Elyse Winter

According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, the definition of a grandparent is “a parent of one’s father or mother,” but to many, grandparents are defined as so much more.

On Friday, April 16, Xavier High School students, faculty and staff gathered in the Ron Thillen Gymnasium and celebrated their grandparents, with the annual Grandparents’ Day Mass.

While the Mass looked a little different this year with no grandparents in sight, they were still able to be a part of the Mass through Facebook livestream, where they could be in attendance virtually. Although they were not there in person, Xavier did all they could to make sure every grandparent felt included. Xavier Foundation’s Administrative Assistant Amy Thuente explained why this was so important.  

“Grandparents are so special to each of us — they show us constant love and support…one such engagement made was that we had students write a personalized message to their grandparents on the invitations  [mailed out]encouraging them to join us on the livestream,” Thuente said.

Along with that, after the Mass, grandparents, through mailing, received individualized prayer cards asking to keep students in  their daily prayers. Students also made a display placed at the altar that consisted of origami flowers for living grandparents and butterflies for those that had passed. 

Senior Grace Zaugg has celebrated this day with her grandfather, who has been attending Grandparents’ Day Mass since she was in preschool at All Saints. 

“My grandpa has always supported me in everything I do so I’m glad that he was still able to attend Mass online this year and be shown the love and appreciation that he deserves,” Zaugg said.

Although not possible this year, post Mass, Zaugg and her grandfather would always go get breakfast, a tradition between them that made this day one to look forward to every year for Zaugg.

Regardless of the changes made this year, grandparents continue to be defined by the faculty, staff and students of Xavier High School as much more than the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines them as.