Xavier’s Hoffman wins Rotary Award

Ellie Meyer, News Writer

On September 23, Xavier Spanish teacher Ms. Vicki Hoffman won the “Outstanding Teacher” award from the Cedar Rapids West Rotary Club. Ms. Hoffman has been teaching as a Spanish teacher at Xavier for eight years. Every year, the Rotary Club honors an outstanding teacher from each of the local schools. Ms. Hoffman was nominated for the award by the Xavier administration for her outstanding passion for learning and service.
“Without a doubt she is one that inspires students and those around her to never stop learning and challenges them to serve,” Associate Principal Ms. Angela Olson said.
Ms. Hoffman received this award because of what she does every day to serve her community and school.
“This is a very humbling reminder that you may be recognized, but you still need to work your hardest when serving and being a good teacher,” Ms. Hoffman said.
The Rotary Club is a worldwide organization of leaders that provides human services, creates ethical standards in vocations, and tries to help keep peace in the world. In more than 200 countries across the world, approximately 1.2 million members belong to over 30,000 Rotary clubs.
The objective of the Rotary Club is service in the workplace, community, and throughout the world. Their main community service projects include working with children at risk, combating poverty and hunger, reducing violence, preserving the environment, and promoting literacy. They are currently working on a project to raise money in support of “Back to School Backpacks,” where members of the Cedar Rapids Rotary Club fills backpacks with school supplies. They have already distributed nearly 2,000 backpacks to local children.