Winter and Yamilkoski set milestones

Kya Loffswold, Sports Editor

Dedication drives success. 

Two Xavier volleyball seniors, Elyse Winter and Jazmine Yamilkoski, have both reached personal career milestones this year. Winter reached 200 blocks and Yamilkoski reached 2,000 assists. They both started playing volleyball in fifth grade and have grown and progressed as players over the years. 

“My training over the years is what gave me the ability to reach this milestone. It is because of the countless hours getting coached and implementing ways to improve my blocking that I was able to achieve 200 blocks,” Winter said. 

Head Coach Austin Filer has had the opportunity to see both girls grow into the players they are today. 

“Elyse has become one of the most well rounded players that Xavier has ever had. I’ve coached her since 8th grade and she has become a player that can contribute in a multitude of ways. She is an elite blocker, defender, and her serve has become a weapon,” Filer said. “Jazmine has become a player that I trust to run this team. I’ve coached her since 7th grade and she has become a very high level thinker. She processes the game quickly and has the ability to make the right decisions in critical moments.”

Yamilkoski credits her teammates, coaches, and training to this accomplishment.

“Austin has been nothing but supportive of us as a team and as individuals, he really just wants to help us reach our potential. He stays late almost every day that I ask and works with me and Elyse,” Yamilkoski said. “Austin builds us into volleyball players and has personally had a huge impact on who I am today, as well as many other people.”

Both girls have many characteristics that help them succeed at volleyball.

“They are both great people. Both are driven to become the best versions of themselves that they can be. They are committed to their team and are leaders that people want to follow,” Filer said. “They will be successful on the court in college and off the court in life. I could not be more proud of who they are,” Filer said.

Coach Filer has been there for the girls as long as they can remember.

“I have to give a lot of credit to Coach Filer. He was one of my very first club coaches and believed in me before most others. He has always expected the best of me from the very beginning which always pushed me to want to be better not only physically but mentally. He has taught me a ton of life lessons I will carry with me for a long time,” Winter said.

Both players’ moms have noticed the extra work each of them puts in and have been there since they started playing seven years ago. 

“I have definitely seen her [Elyse’s] confidence increase, which I think helps all aspects of her game and also helps her to be a better teammate, as she has the confidence to be a leader on the team,” Jen Winter, Elyse’s mom, said.

Tammy Yamilkoski, Jazmine’s mom, has also seen Jazmine grow into the player she is today.

“Jazmine isn’t a quitter, she never gives up. She’s very motivated and competitive. She’s become the most mentally tough athlete; and I know that from watching her overcome her difficulties,” Tammy said.

The Saints next competition is a tournament at Ankeny Centennial High School on Saturday, October 10, starting at 9 a.m.