The legacy of Mr. Ballinger

Elyse Winter, News Writer

Pope Francis once said, “Teaching is a beautiful job; as it allows you to see the growth day by day of people entrusted to your care. It is a little like being parents, at least spiritually. It is a great responsibility.” 

Stu Ballinger was a Xavier High School teacher and coach up until his retirement in the spring of the 2020 school year, marking the end of his 22 years at Xavier. Prior to his 22 years at Xavier, Mr. Ballinger was a part of the LaSalle and Regis High School communities as a teacher. He was a mentor who not only had an impact on his students, but the teachers as well. 

At Xavier, Ballinger’s focus was placed with the science department along with fitness courses teaching classes such as biology, global science, human anatomy and physiology and lifetime sports. He was also the Football Equipment & Field Staff Manager. It is through his different roles at Xavier that he was able to impact so many. 

“We used to laugh about all the storage tubs Stu and his crew used to haul to the sidelines both home and away. I used to call it ‘Stuville,’” Social Studies teacher Mr. Tom Lilly said. 

Lilly also stated that Ballinger cared deeply about the athletes. He would always have the new and improved equipment that went on the market with the player’s safety always in mind. 

Off the field, Ballinger cared just as much about his students.

“He was the happiest and most enjoyable teacher to be around and would always go out of his way to help his students,” senior Clayton Nurre said.

Along with going over and beyond, Ballinger impacted teachers with his knowledge. 

“He always had great insight and was able to help us look at things from different angles. He always got us to think,” science teacher Russ Camacho said. 

Ballinger was a longtime figure within the Xavier community and, while he has retired, he has left an impact on students and teachers alike.