Sweet treats

Hope Schulte, News Editor

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream. 

The Ice Cream Social held after school on Thursday, September 17 and at lunch time on Monday, September 21 was an opportunity for students at Xavier High School to enjoy free ice cream and meet some international students that are new to Xavier. The event included a booth with coolers full of ice cream and popsicles on the sidewalk leading out to the activities entrance parking lot. It was sponsored by the Spanish Club and the Spanish Honor Society. The international students were the intended “special guests” of the Ice Cream Social. 

“We want our International Students to feel special and to know that they belong to Xavier. Xavier is for everyone and Xavier wouldn’t be the same without their presence. That is why we host the event every year in September,” Spanish Club Moderator Señora Vicki Hoffman said.

The international students attending Xavier this year are Christopher Hermosillo from Mexico, Adam Sandhu from India, Jiwon Jung from South Korea and Mike ‘Hien’ Phan from Vietnam. The students at Xavier that helped put on the Ice Cream Social wanted to make the international students feel welcome. 

“I think it was great to have acknowledgement for the new students and I hope it makes them feel welcome,” senior Stephanie Allen said. “I would encourage the Xavier community to find out more about our international students and get to know them.”

The Ice Cream Social was also beneficial to Xavier students. 

“I think it made them [Xavier students] more interested in foreign languages as a whole and made them see that there are really a ton of people from all over who get to participate in such a cool experience,” senior Virginia Russell, who is one of the seven Spanish Club Representatives, said. 

In years past, Señora Jaclyn Richmond coordinated the event when she was the moderator for Spanish Honor Society. These past few years events like the Ice Cream Social have been a group effort between Señora Richmond, Señora Hoffman and Spanish Honor Society Moderator Señor Avila. 

“The three of us plan a lot of events together for the benefit and experience of the students outside of the normal Spanish school curriculum. And it’s great now to have Mrs. Goering,” said Hoffman. 

The Spanish Club, Spanish Honor Society and the Xavier community as a whole will continue to welcome and get to know international students, even without sweet treats.