Spring sport coaches benched for the season

Amanda Ross, Sports Writer

Coaches are passionate about their sports even during uncertain times. 

Due to COVID-19, all spring sports in Iowa were canceled. This includes soccer, track, tennis, girls’ golf and trapshooting. The cancelation of spring sports affects a lot of athletes, but also their coaches as well. Spring sport coaches at Xavier High School are more motivated than ever before to learn more about their sport during this time of the “new normal.”

“During this pandemic, I have been trying to be productive,” girls varsity soccer Head Coach Chris Higgins said. “It has been a good opportunity to expand my coaching education with all this free time with the likes of connecting with coaches, watching film, attending virtual webinars and reading coaching biographies that will help me become a better coach.”

Not only are coaches staying educated, but they are missing their players and their sport. 

“Not having the opportunity to coach this spring has been really tough,” boys varsity track Head Coach Russ Camacho said. “I truly miss all of the guys I work with and would like nothing more than to see their growth during the season and see what they could do on the track and in the field!” 

Even though these coaches can not see their players in person, they have put in extra work to keep connected with them digitally. 

“We have met with the returning girls via zoom and have discussed workouts and training they can do at home,” girls varsity tennis Head Coach Matt Foxhoven said.

The coaches of spring sports have spent so much time and dedication towards their programs as evidenced by several state championships last spring. This includes the varsity girls’ soccer team and girls’ and boys’ tennis teams. The coaches are now putting in work for the 2021 season.