JBO guest DJs

Robert Weger, Assistant A&E Editor

Life is filled with unique opportunities that, if taken, can lead to once in a lifetime experiences. A few Xavier jazz band members were recently invited to try something that would give them a new perspective on their jazz music.

Three members of Xavier’s Jazz Band One were invited to be guests on KCCK-FM. Senior Juliana Karl and juniors Avery Arens and Allison Talyat appeared on KCCK on Monday, March 30 with Dennis Greene as the host. For an hour, the three picked music and discussed various topics, including Jazz Band One’s season and the reasons behind the music they chose to play on the show.

I chose the songs ‘Tio Macaco’ by Snarky Puppy, ‘When You’re Smiling’ by Louis Armstrong and ‘Symphony in Riffs’ by Duke Ellington,” Arens said. “They are all so different from each other, and I like the variety and history behind each song.”

Each guest chose three of their favorite songs to play on the radio and had the opportunity to share why they chose them.

KCCK-FM invites guest DJs from several different high schools around The Corridor each year including Xavier. The opportunity proved to be something unique for them to enjoy.  

“I decided to do it since I knew it would be a fun experience to talk about jazz and hear some new music,” Talyat said.

The three members had to join the host via Zoom to make the show due to the recent social distancing guidelines.

I was a little nervous because it was live and we couldn’t be together in person,” Arens said. “But once we started the program, it wasn’t nerve-racking at all. Dennis Greene, the host, made it a really chill atmosphere.”

The three were invited as part of The Corridor Jazz Project, which is hosted by KCCK annually. In addition to inviting students as guest DJs, The Corridor high school jazz bands are paired with a professional musician to practice and perform a song in a non-competitive setting.

Part of the reason that I love jazz band so much is that I love listening to other bands,” Karl said. “The Corridor Jazz Project gives me the opportunity to hear what the other bands in the community sound like, and just hear them show off.”

Each band’s song is also recorded and compiled onto a CD. The CD is available for purchase for $15 on the KCCK website at www.kcck.org.

For Arens, Karl and Talyat, being guest DJs was a unique way to share their interests in jazz with others. A recording of the show is also available to listen to on the KCCK website.