Lilly is metro coach

Kya Loffswold, Sports Editor

Time can be one of the greatest gifts someone can give.

Coach Lilly dedicates countless hours to the game of basketball, doing everything he can to learn more about the sport. 

After the Xavier girls’ basketball team finished the year 15-8, Coach Lilly was awarded metro coach of the year. Each metro coach has a nomination and a vote, then the Athletic Director in charge of the girls basketball metro tallies the votes. The metro teams are all the teams in the area: Jefferson, Kennedy, Linn Mar, Marion, Prairie and Washington.

Coach Lilly has been coaching at Xavier for as long as it has existed, 22 years. He also coached 13 years prior at Regis when it was a high school. Throughout his years of coaching, the people around him have seen his dedication and hard work grow.

“He is exceptionally loyal, meticulous in preparation, and demanding. He cares deeply about Xavier High School,” Mr. Mike Goldsmith said. 

Coach Lilly spends his free time watching hours of game film to make sure his team is prepared for each game. 

“I think Coach Lilly deserves this award because he has been dedicated to the program for such a long time, and year after year never disappoints to give each individual season his all,” senior Aubrey Jones said.

His determination for his players, along with himself, to ‘be better’ never stops.

“Tom is constantly ordering new books, educational coaching videos, watching women’s games on TV, or taking a class on how to improve player techniques, defense, offense and coaching motivational skills,” his wife, Elizabeth Lilly said.

The players enjoy learning from Coach     Lilly, he finds new drills or skills to constantly improve and work on.

“He is very motivational in his implementation of the quote of the day and chapel meetings. He has the ability to help us through any situation that might arise calmly because of his experience,” Jones said.

Coach Lilly has won this award for the sixth time now.

“My first time winning this was when I was coaching at Regis. The last one feels just as meaningful as the first and all those in between,” Coach Lilly said. 

While awards are great, Coach Lilly’s main focus has always been on something else.

“The greatest enjoyment is watching your players get better in their ability, acceptance of their role and put the needs of the team ahead of their own,” Coach Lilly said. 

Coach Lilly is excited to see what the future holds for the girls basketball program.

“Every year is like planting a new seed in the ground. There will be a growth period and then it will be time to nurture the plant and if one right, it will become something beautiful that God had intended,” Coach Lilly said.

Next season will be Coach Lilly’s 23 season as Xavier girls’ basketball head coach, the experience under his belt will continue to be an important factor to success.

Kya Loffswold

Sports Writer