40 years for Julie Kadlec

Libby Arnold, Sports Editor

40 spring seasons, 40 golf teams, 40 years. 

Xavier girls’ golf coach Julie Kadlec begins her 40th season this upcoming 2020 season. She was the Regis High School girls’ coach for 18 years and has been the Xavier High School girls’ head golf coach for the past 22 years. 

“I love the spring season, being outside and watching not only how nature awakens from the long Iowa winters, but how these young athletes take on the game of golf from their freshman year and develop their talents over the span of four years,” Kadlec said. 

Coach Kadlec has been around the game of golf for a long time and has made an impact on her golfers beyond the golf course.

“She has taught me the important lesson of preparation. Preparation can be used in all aspects of life and in golf,” senior Ellie Braksiek said. “She always makes sure that we are practicing and also playing so that we are prepared when we have tournaments.”

Coach Kadlec loves watching her golfers thrive in the game.

“Each player can find their niche in the sport of golf. Whatever time and effort they put into it will come to fruition,” Kadlec said. “To see them reach their goals, and sometimes, attain something beyond what they thought they might, is absolutely the best!”

To Kadlec, coaching golf means more to her than simply coaching the sport.

“I coach golf to encourage girls to enjoy a sport, which will teach them life skills, such as persistence, confidence, perseverance and even the importance of flexibility,” Kadlec said. 

The Saints placed third at the state tournament last season and are looking to make a run at state again this season. 

“As a team, we want to do better than we did last year at state and maybe even win it all,” senior Sophie Schmit said. 

There are four returning members, Braksiek, Kaitlin Hotchkiss, Kelsey Koberg and Schmit, of the third place team and they are all eager for the season to start.

“I am really excited to start practices with the team again and for all of our van rides,” Braksiek said. “The golf team is so much fun and we all have personalities that go really well together.”

Kadlec will begin her 40th golf season with the first practice on March 16.