Stanek and Cook break records

Kya Loffswold, Sports Writer

Dedication is needed in order to succeed in the world of sports.

Christian Stanek’s dedication is what led him to his accomplishments this season, breaking the Xavier High School takedowns record and placing sixth at state.

Leading up to the state tournament, after qualifying, Stanek was only able to practice one time due to being ill. During that practice, the coaches focused on working with him on hard drilling and defensive work.

“I had a pretty bad cough and I was constantly congested,” Stanek said. “It was tough battling a sickness and trying to win state at the same time.”

Stanek’s toughest opponentat state was his semifinal matchagainst Iowa commit Caleb Rathjen from Ankeny High School, where Rathjen won by a fall in two minutes and 38 seconds.

Although Stanek was not as pleased with his results as he would have liked, he still enjoyed his time at the Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines.

“It was really exciting, I love wrestling in front of thousands of people,” Stanek said.

Only being a sophomore, Stanek has a very bright future ahead of him.

“I am looking forward to doing better and constantly improving,” Stanek said. “My goal is to be an undefeated state champ, it is a huge goal but I will work to achieve it.”

The Saints next year will lose its sole senior leader, Ryan Cook, who set the record for falls in a season. The previous record holder was Josh Gerke (X17), with 29 falls. Cook reached 30 falls in the state qualifying meet.

“It feels good having something to leave behind with the program, I am glad I set a new bar and something for others to strive to break,” Cook said. “Gerke was a great role model when I was a freshman, especially in the way that he wrestled.”

Cook will leave behind a legacy with his successful season, even though he did not qualify for state.

Cook does not plan on wrestling in college and Stanek is looking forward to his junior year season to keep working hard and improving.