A year of firsts

Jack Delaney, Sports Writer

Advancing to state can be adifficult task for most athletes no matter what sport they participate in. With all the hard work and long practices, one Xavier student reached this accomplishment.

Seth Williams is a freshman at Xavier and swims in co-op at Cedar Rapids Washington High School. This year, he qualified for the state swim meet held at The University of Iowa on Saturday, February 15, 2020 in the 400 freestyle relay. However, he did not get to swim due to a change in Washington’s lineup and went as an alternate.

“It was an amazing feeling to qualify as a freshman, even though I didn’t get to swim,” Seth said. “The atmosphere at the state meet is incredible. Everyone knew it was a big meet and the crowd was electric.”

In addition to qualifying for state, he received MVC honorable mention in the 100 breaststroke and the 200 IM. Seth was the only person from Xavier that qualified for the state meet.

“I feel like I am still representing Xavier even though I’m swimming for Washington,” Seth said. “People know I go to Xavier and I am very proud of that.”

Seth still has three years left in high school to swim and has set new goals for the years to come.

“I have worked very hard to get to where I am right now and I cannot wait for next season,” Seth said. “Next year, as a team, I want to compete for a district title and want to qualify for state in two individual events.”

Seth’s older brother, Ethan, has supported Seth through all of his events and was proud to see him accomplish a goal he set for himself.

“Every race he swam in, I was on the other side cheering him on,” Ethan said. “I was so happy for him. I have never been at the competitive level to even dream of qualifying, so seeing Seth do it as a freshman was awesome!”

With his junior swim season over, Ethan only has one more year left to swim with his brother.

“I want to take in every moment not just with Seth but also my teammates and try not to take my last season for granted,” Ethan said.

Seth has high hopes in continuing his high school swimming career.