Seasonal service

Anna Schenkel, Assistant News Editor

It may be cold outside but work is still being done for others.

In the months of January and February, service projects, including the Cold War and candy grams took place.

From Tuesday, January 21 to Monday, January 27, the ColdWar was a donation effort put onby the Xavier Health Club. In an attempt to get as many donations as possible for this winter clothing drive, Health Club decided to create a competition between Xavier students and students attending one of the three Xavier middle schools: St. Joe’s, Regis and LaSalle.

Health Club students had the opportunity to promote the middle school students to donate.

Possible clothing items donated included hats, mittens, socks, coats and snow pants. All items collected went directly to local homeless shelters during this winter season.

Xavier School Nurse and Health Club moderator Kris Naeve was in charge of the Cold War and hopes for this to become an annual fundraiser.

“I think there’s a need for all the donations, considering we live in Iowa and the shelters and mission houses that received the donations were very grateful for them,” Naeve said.

The winners, who were announced during the Catholic Schools Week Mass on Tuesday, January 28, were the middle school students.

From February 11 to February 13, in celebration of Valentine’s Day, students were able to purchase a candy gram during lunch and have it put in someone else’s locker for $1 by members of the Health Club. If students paid $2, they were able to send the candy gram anonymously. At the end of the school day, students who received the valentine could pay$3 to find out who sent it to them.

Candy grams were new to Xavier this year and junior Britt Bowersox, Co-President of XavierHealth Club, helped out the effort.

“I think it’s a great idea to raise money for all the events Health Club puts on throughout the year,” Bowersox said. “It’s a good way to give back to those in need.”

All proceeds from candy grams will go towards helping Health Club.