The role of show choir techies

Cody Clemenson, A&E Writer

The show choir season is in full swing with practices and upcoming competitions. However, the performers are not the only ones who need to be prepared. Techies provide support for the show choirs by doing jobs in the background that generally go unnoticed by the standard viewer. However, without them, the shows may be impossible.

Techies are standard with most show choirs, as they assist with the lighting, sound and stage setup.

Senior Anika Munjal has experience in this activity and has been working as a techie for two years at Xavier High School.

“Our job as techies is to put the clothes on the rack and to move them backstage. Once we do that, we make sure all the mics are working correctly,” Munjal said. “Finally, if there are any costumemishaps, we help fix them.”

Xavier has presented the opportunity to become a techie to both male and female students in any grade. Senior Caleb Pacha, has enjoyed the chance to work with show choir since his junior year.

“I wanted to be a techie because I enjoyed show choir competitions and being able to help with the show. We are always looking for help and I would recommend being one,” Pacha said.

Senior Ella Kane has been a techie since her sophomore year and has enjoyed the work.

“I became a techie so I could be involved in show choir without being musically talented and I haveenjoyedtheyearsIhaveput into this activity and cannot wait to continue it this year as well,” Kane said. “For anyone thinking about joining show choir or contemplating becoming a techie, just do it. It gives you another opportunity to support Xavier and the people are great.” Anyone interested in becoming a techie should talk to Mr. Walker about the opportunity.

Be sure to go out and support the Xavier’s show choirs at their next competition on Saturday, February 1, 2020 at The Anamosa Sadie Street Showcase at Anamosa High School.