2020 award shows

Allie Andrews, A&E Writer

The spectacular dresses and suits, the red carpet interviews and the excitement as everyone’s favorite artists win awards are all part of what makes award shows such intriguing events.

This year’s Golden Globes were on Sunday, January 5, 2020.

The Golden Globes is an award show for movies and TV shows. Celebrities from all over the country are nominated for these awards such as “Best Supporting Actress” or “Best Motion Picture.” When the actors go up to receive their awards, they usually give a speech thanking their cast, directors, producers and families. This year at the Golden Globes, many actors gave political speeches along with thanking everyone who made their movie or TV show possible. This can beinfluential to certain viewers suchas those in the Xavier community.

“The shows make people change their views on certain people because they want to like the person who won or they might argue that another person deserved the award more,” freshman Kaleigh Keeney said.

Tears were shed as Tom Hanks gave his speech after winning the Cecil B. DeMille Award. Hanks grew emotional in his speech about his wife and kids, calling them “brave and strong.”

“These award shows influencepeople’s taste in music and movies depending on what wins,” junior Hope Schulte said.

The Grammys, another recent award show, was held on Sunday, January 26, 2020, which focuses on awards for the music industry. This year, artists and musicians came together and performed tributes to remember individuals who have passed.

The Oscars are awards that are centered towards artistic and technical abilities inthe film industry and will beheld on Sunday, February 9, 2020 at 7 p.m. CST on ABC.

Looking forward to the Oscars, viewers can expect stunning attire, heartwarming speechesandtheexcitementoffindingoutwho wins each and every award.