Make bad art

Emma Stadelmann, Opinion Writer

I value creative expression as  it is necessary to a fulfilling and balanced life. I have been both a supporter and participant in the arts from a young age. Whether it be by playing trumpet and French horn, attending symphony, opera, ballet and jazz performances, visiting art museums, taking cooking classes, painting, writing or reading, I have always found an outlet to either express myself or enjoy what others create.

I believe many people mistakenly assume that art needs to be good to be worthwhile. I disagree. I have enjoyed painting as a hobby for many years and I am frankly quite awful at it. My work is passable from a distance. Nevertheless, nothing soothes me more than sitting down with paints, brushes and a canvas, turning on one of my favorite operas and creating something that is completely mine. My artwork doesn’t need to be good – it’s not about accomplishments or accolades. It is what keeps me human in a world that constantly challenges students to be more ambitious, take more advanced classes and exert themselves in countless extracurricular activities. I don’t disapprove of these students; I am one of these students, to be honest. However, I recognize that there is more to a successful life than pushing oneself to the limit.

I see the symphony as often as possible simply because it makes me happy. I bake cakes and frost them poorly. I paint pictures in which others can’t tell whether I’m painting a bird or a flower. I transcribe trumpet solos from my favorite jazz songs. None of these things have earned me recognition, but they are worthwhile in different ways. Watching a movie isn’t lazy, buying flowers isn’t indulgent. The simple yet beautiful pleasures of life are worth the small detours from the path to success.

Emma Stadelmann

Opinion Writer