More than a game

Jack Delaney, Sports Writer

It is not too often that opponents in a game come together and unite over a cause. However, both Xavier and Linn-Mar were able to do that earlier this month.

On December 13, Linn-Mar High School hosted their second annual Alzheimer’s game. This year Xavier was fortunate to be their opponent. 

This game was started by a Linn-Mar parent, Todd Miller. Alzheimer’s is a disease that hits home for him and his family.

“My oldest daughter Macey was the one who came up with the idea,” Miller said. “Macey’s grandmother Diane [my mother] has late stage Alzheimer’s. It is heart wrenching for me to see her now, sitting in the gym each Tuesday and Friday night having no idea that the granddaughters that she has poured so much love into over the years are on the court playing their hearts out.”

Last year, the game was held on January 15 and despite the conditions, they were able to raise money. 

“Last year we were able to raise $1000 and this year we hope to exceed our goal of $2000 for the Alzheimer’s Association,” Miller said.

Miller is not the only person affected by this disease. This disease is important to Xavier sophomore and basketball player Mary Kate Moeder. Her father, Tony, was diagnosed with Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD) in 2017. Being able to play in this game is very special to her.

“I’m truly honored I get the opportunity to be a part of this game because this cause is very important to me,” Moeder said. “The most beneficial thing you can do is raise awareness. This could not be a better event to support the fight in ending these diseases.”

Moeder hopes that other people will feel the impact that this game has on people in situations like hers.

“I hope everyone can see the community that is coming together for this cause,” Moeder said. “At the end of the day, it’s not about the rivalry or the names written on the jerseys, but the fact that everyone is there for the same reason to fight Alzheimer’s and Dementia. That is most important, and it’s so meaningful to me, but also so many other people too.”

Xavier will next play Cedar Falls on Friday December 20 with the boys’ team at home and the girls’ team away.