Bond over basketball

Hope Schulte, News Writer

The connections made during a high school sport have the ability to create long-lasting relationships.

The 12th annual Alumni Basketball Tournament was put on by the LaSalle-Regis-Xavier Alumni Association and the Xavier Foundation on November 30 at Xavier High School. This is a fundraiser for Xavier and its mission is to support the relationships between alumni of LaSalle, Regis and Xavier. Coordinators for the event like Mary Harken, Elizabeth Wright and Brad Joens try to reconnect past alumni of LaSalle, Regis, and Xavier.

“My favorite aspect personally is having conversations with guys that I coached over my 14 year coaching stint at Xavier. Joens (R96) said. “It is fun to learn about the great as well as personal milestones.” The tournament took place on Thanksgiving weekend which allowed many alumni the opportunity to come home and participate in the tournament. Gym space was secured months in advance for the four teams things they are doing professionally, as well as personal milestones.”

The tournament took place on Thanksgiving weekend which allowed many alumni the opportunity to come home and participate in the tournament. Gym space was secured months in advance for the four teams with 10 players each. Joens hired the officials and volunteers to help with the scoreboard and concession stand. He also recruited captains and the players that played in the tournament.

Many former players from Regis, LaSalle and Xavier look forward to the tournament every year.

“The Xavier Alumni Basketball Tournament is important because it allows us alumni to stay connected to Xavier and the classmates we attended Xavier with,” Corbin Woods (X13) said.

The Alumni Basketball Tournament has always had four teams participate, and is looking to expand this next year.

“I highly encourage the senior class of 2020 to name a captain that will put together a team for next year. It is a lot of fun to get back on the court and play and see old friends,” Joens said.

Both Joens and Woods plan on being involved in next year’s tournament.