Perfect practices

Caitlynn Daniels, Sports Editor

Preparing and practicing for a sport can be a critical component to one’s success. This is no different for Xavier wrestlers. 

“I have to watch what I eat because of the sweets and desserts,” junior Ivan Thomas said. “The best way I avoid eating them is by having the mindset that I will perform better without them.”

Many wrestlers drop body weight in order to get into a weight class where they believe they will have an advantage. 

“I believe training for wrestling is hard because of how physically and mentally demanding it is,” senior Ryan Cook said. 

Dropping weight is not the only important factor when it comes to wrestling. 

“Many people believe that wrestling is only about cutting weight but that is insignificant when it comes to skill,” Thomas said. “The best way to perform is by eating healthy and feeling good.”

Xavier wrestling practices usually last around two and a half hours and Cook believes this is a great way to prepare for upcoming tournaments. 

“I usually just wear sweats and a T-shirt for normal practice, but if I’m over the weight I want to be, I will wear more layers,” Cook said. “The room   where we wrestle can get really    hot when  we are going live and everyone is working their hardest.”

Cook, Thomas and sophomore Christian Stanek all have state experience for the Saints and all three are looking to return to state this season. 

“My goals this season are to win conference, districts and state,” Stanek said. “They are big goals and I know I will have to work to achieve them.”

Thomas, who made it to state as a freshman but was out last season due to an injury, is looking to make an impact and place in the top five at state. 

“I am looking forward to being on the mat, from missing all of last season, I am just ready to compete again,” Thomas said.

Although Thomas enjoys winning, his favorite part is competing around the state and having great teammates to do it with.

Xavier wrestlers will compete next on Friday, December 6 through Saturday, December 7 in a tournament at Independence High School.