Leaders fulfilling their dreams

Rylee Beardsworth, Sports Writer

“A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way and shows the way,” John C. Maxwell, bestselling author on leadership, said.

Libby Arnold and Caitlynn Daniels are two of six seniors in the Xavier girls’ basketball program this year. Being a senior comes with its own leadership role, but Arnold and Daniels have been chosen as captains, bringing them even greater roles as leaders. 

“Being a captain is an honor because my teammates chose me to lead and be their role model throughout     the       season,” Arnold said.

Daniels and Arnold hope to be positive examples on and off the court like past captains they have looked up to. 

“My freshman year I looked up to Lauren Cooling because no matter how  much playing time she received, she was always positive and inspired those around her,” Daniels said.

As captains, Arnold and Daniels understand   that their commitment, motivation and work ethic establish the standard the rest of the team should follow. They plan to lead their team back to the state tournament at the Wells Fargo Arena for their last year in Xavier uniforms. 

“It will be bittersweet when it is all over, but for now we still have to put in the work to try and accomplish our goal of winning state,” Daniels said.

However, this year is not Daniel’s and Arnold’s last year of basketball. Both of them signed on Wednesday, November 13, to play basketball at the next level, fulfilling their childhood dreams.

Arnold and Daniels sign their National Letters of Intent at Xavier High School on Wednesday, November 13. Photo Submitted.

“Ever since I was little I adored college basketball,” Arnold said. “I looked up to Jamie Printy and wanted to be just like her, ever since then, I had my heart set on playing at the next level.”

After much consideration, Arnold will continue her basketball career at William Jewell College in Liberty Missouri and Daniels at the University of Alabama Birmingham (UAB). 

“I chose UAB because it really felt like family,” Daniels said. “I was not looking for the best basketball team, I was looking for the best fit for me and I felt like I really got that at UAB.”

Although Arnold and Daniels are excited to move on to the next level, their current focus is to step into their leadership roles as captains and lead their team through this basketball season.

“I     am so excited for game days with my team and playing in Ron Thillen for one last season,” Arnold said.

The girls’ basketball team will play Cedar Rapids Jefferson in the Ron Thillen Gymnasium on Friday, December 6 at 7:30 p.m.