Swimmers at state

Kya Loffswold, Sports Writer

Leaving things behind can be difficult for many people. Senior Maddie Gannon swam her last high school swim meet for Cedar Rapids Kennedy on Saturday, November 9 at state swimming in Marshalltown. Three other Xavier Saints also participated at state. Maddie’s younger sister, freshman Casey Gannon and sophomore Anne Baumann swam for Cedar Rapids Kennedy while sophomore Lucy Pfab swam for Cedar Rapids Washington.

Maddie qualified for state all four years of her high school career. She has been swimming since she was two-years-oldand has been surrounded by swimming her entire life.

“We lived in Alabama when I was little so swimming was the thing to do. My sisters and I have all done it and it’s been something we’ve all been able to bond over,” Maddie said.

Casey has benefited from swimming with Maddie this past season.

“My first state experience was really fun and exciting. Maddie helped me with my nerves by lightening the mood by making jokes and taking my mind off the race,” Casey said. “I am sad that she will be leaving because she has always been a super energetic person and I will miss her energy on the pool deck.”

Maddie and Casey have cherished the time they spent together this year.

“It’s hard to believe it’s really all over but I’m so thankful for the memories and the friends I have made,” Maddie said. “I’m excited to see the success of the other Xavier swimmers continue.”

Baumann, Casey and Pfab are looking forward to swimming again next year.

“I’m going to train hard throughout the rest of this year and summer. I’m looking forward to hopefully breaking the school record in my events next season,” Baumann said.

Baumann, Casey and Maddie all participated in the 200 medley relay together for Kennedy and placed 20. Pfab swam for Cedar Rapids Washington in the 200 medley relay as well and placed 19.