Sharing a passion

Rylee Beardworth, Sports Writer

Creating a lasting legacy starts with a coach.

Coach Nathan Hopp is the boys’ cross country coach at Xavier, but he also coaches girls’ track at Linn- Mar. Hopp has been practicing with the boys’ cross country team since summer and will continue to push the runners to accomplish all of their goals.

“I always make sure to support Xavier and Linn-Mar athletes, regardless of gender, year round, regardless of what season it may be,” Hopp said.

Hopp commented that he wants to set a good example for his athletes.

“I have learned much through being part of a team and through athletics that I wanted to give back to others what has been given to me,” Hopp said.

Hopp’s former coaches have helped make Hopp into the coach and person he is today. He continues to carry on the legacy of what they taught him.

“In high school and college my coaches did much to develop my love for running and helped me realize if you put your heart and soul into something, anything is possible,” Hopp said.

Hopp added that holding students to a high standard of success inside and outside of the classroom is part of that mindset.

“I feel growing in one’s faith and giving to others through service at school and in the community are important components to personal development,” Hopp said.

While coaching at Xavier, Hopp has helped the development of his runners by creating service opportunities for the team.

“We have practiced with the middle school cross country runners,” Hopp said. “We help out with Mount Mercy University’s Seminole Valley Stampede 5k race.”

Hopp also added that these service opportunities show the athletes that it is important to share the gifts and experiences they have been blessed to receive.

“Sharing my love of running and what I have learned will help others be able to be successful and achieve more than what I was able to accomplish myself,” Hopp said.

Jack Renning, a senior cross country runner, said that Hopp instills both fun and work making the sport enjoyable and the runners successful.

“Coach Hopp is a great coach because he truly cares about the sport and all the kids on the team,” Renning said. “He has shown me all the little things that go into a successful.”

Theboys’crosscountryteam is competing Thursday, October 24 to qualify for the state meet.