Reed as new drum major

Christine Hilario, A&E Writer

Taking a risk has yielded a high reward for one Xavier Saint. 

Senior Genevieve Reed stepped up as drum major for Xavier’s marching band.

When a spot opened up in the percussion section, the marching band needed a new player. Reed was up for the challenge when a friend asked her to join the percussion section.

“I figured it was something I could do because of my piano experience,” Reed said. “It sounded like a lot of fun, and with it being my senior year, I thought I would give it a go. I am so glad I did!”

Reed had never played percussion in a band before, but after a few weeks of rehearsing with the band, it was apparent to band director, Ms. Kelli Swehla, that Reed could handle the responsibility of being a conductor.  

Drum majors Genevieve Reed and Avery Arens salute as they begin their halftime show at the Xavier football game against West Delaware. Jenaya Devereaux Photo.

“Genevieve has been nothing but positive, hard-working and a joy to work with,” Swehla said. “Without Genevieve’s great enthusiasm and willingness to step up, our band would certainly be in more dire circumstances. She has been a blessing to the group.”

Reed becoming drum major has been an immense help to the band according to junior drum major, Avery Arens. 

“Genevieve is an amazing person,” Arens said. “It is nice to conduct two songs instead of four songs now. She is also learning really fast.”

After joining band, Reed has gotten to know people from every grade and has made many new friends. 

“I just love being with everyone in band,” Reed said. “The atmosphere is so warm and welcoming with a real community spirit.”

The Xavier Marching Saints competed in the Linn-Mar High School Invitational on September 28. They will be competing in the Bands Across the Prairie Invitational and the Five Seasons Invitational on October 5 and the State Marching Band Festival on October 1.