Running into history

Jack Delaney, Sports Writer

Runners reach new heights. One of those runners is senior, Jack Renning.

Renning has been a top performer for the boys’ cross country team, he has numerous top ten finishes on the year, including a second place finish at the Grinnell Invite on September 10. He is currently ranked 16th in the state. 

“It feels weird knowing that there are all of these guys in 3A and I am one of the fastest ones,” Renning said. 

Renning put in a lot of work in the off-season and has continued to push himself more during the season. 

Senior Jack Renning runs in a cross country meet last fall. Photo Submitted.

“I train for races by going to practice, doing long runs and short sprints,” Renning said. “Afterwards, I will go lift in the weight room.”

Coach Nathan Hopp has pushed Renning all four years of high school to improve and values him as a runner and a teammate.

“Jack provides a great example for his teammates to follow at meets and practices,” Hopp said. “I have been very impressed with his maturity and ability to encourage his teammates, especially the underclassmen.”

Hopp has high hopes for Renning this season especially coming off a successful season last year. 

“I hope he can qualify for the state meet again, which would be his fourth time doing so,” Hopp said. “Not too many athletes can say they have participated in state all four years. If Jack qualifies, he will be the first boy from Xavier to go to state all four years.”

For Renning, the goal is the exact same. He plans to make these goals a reality.

“A personal goal for me is to run in 16:30 or below and place anywhere in the top 25,” Renning said. “I hope that the whole team qualifies as well.”

Renning is excited to see how this year turns out and hopes to leave a legacy for future runners to follow. 

“I hope to be remembered by my hard work and dedication,” Renning said. “I hope future runners can keep the tradition of excellence going.”

The boys’ cross country team will compete at the Norwalk Invitational on Monday, October 7 at Norwalk High School.