Always Saints Field

Libby Arnold, Sports Editor

The Xavier Saints’ football program has created a legacy. The legacy of countless home wins on a grass surfaced field. On Friday, August 30 at 7 p.m., a new era began on the new turf field.

On December 19, 2018, Xavier High School announced the donations from multiple donors to place turf on the Saints Field.

“I thought it was very generous of the donors. They are true saints,” Head Coach Duane Schulte said. 

Multiple Xavier coaches were there when they originally placed the grass field.

“I was there for the original and the updated crown. Coach O’Connell, other coaches and I along with players at that time helped lay the grass,” Head Coach Schulte said. “Coach Reggie Schulte was five years old and helped put a little bit down too. I had my son, Bryce, in a stroller on the track and I would go check on him, put turf down, go back, check on him then put more turf down.”

Players and coaches are thankful for the donations and the donors. 

“I’m thankful for everyone that helped make the turf field possible. It is a fun surface to play on,” senior Nick Banowetz said. 

The Saints took their first home win of the season on the new field, defeating Regina High School 35-0.

“Getting the first win on this field is like any win on any field. Very grateful our players executed,” Head Coach Schulte said. “Getting any win is hard to do, so I’m always appreciative of the efforts of everyone associated with Xavier football whenever we get a win.”

As a team, their goal is to get better every week and become a better team.

“We have to work as hard as we can and leave nothing out on the field,” senior Jakob Forslund said. “I’m looking forward to playing another season with my brothers.” 

Seniors Jakob Forslund (44) and Ethan Hurkett (49) celebrate on the new field against Iowa City Regina. Jenaya Devereaux Photo.

The Saints are led by senior captains Banowetz, Forslund, Ethan Hurkett and Josh Volk.

“It is our job to show others how to be a Xavier football player. We have a lot of good leaders on our team, so we have plenty of kids that can show others what that looks like,” Banowetz said.

The players see leadership as a key element for the team as a whole.

“Leadership is a big role and I like to remind my teammates each day that we do not have one leader, we are all leaders,” senior Tyler Dupont said. 

The Saints will play West Delaware for senior night on Friday, September 20 at 7:30 p.m.