Nine to Five

Virginia Russell, Opinion Writer

It’s Monday and I’m at home, bored out of my mind.

I’ve done nothing with my free day besides stare at the clock. Then I realize I’m so bored because around this time I’m either playing with toddlers or addressing a face full of tears due to a fight over toys. That’s right. I miss my job. I know, it may not be a commonly coined phrase, but it’s true. I love and ​adore m​y job and I’m a better, happier person because of it, which is why every high schooler should have a job.

Now, as I and hopefully everyone knows, when you work, you get paid. Of course, we all know that, but not everyone knows what making your own money is like. It is putting time and effort into something that you worked hard for and ​earned​. It’s one of the best and most satisfying feelings in the world to get that paycheck and know it’s deserved and your’s. Awkwardly asking parents, friends and others for money is no longer an option. Instead, you can reach your hand into your own pocket and proudly find money.

In a way, you’re forced to become outgoing when you work. Unless your job is in a metal box, you’re going to interact with others whether they’re peers, adults or customers. You’ll get the chance to develop social skills and see what it’s like working as an adult in the world, with responsibilities and leadership. 

Now, I also understand that being a high school student can be challenging and overwhelming and not many people want to squeeze extra activities into their already overflowing to-do lists. However, your job should suit you well enough that you don’t feel burdened every time you’re working. You should feel you’re getting a break from whatever’s going on. It should conjure good feelings and joy as you’re doing something gratifying, because if the only good part of your job is money, then you’re doing it for the wrong reasons.

Battling boredom and building professionalism just goes to show that obtaining a job is mandatory. Being a child care worker is one of the most fulfilling experiences I’ve lived so far and it’s taught me countless lessons. So get out there. Work that nine to five.