Akeela Love

Akeela Jefferson, Backpage Assistant Editor

“And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love” (1 Corinthians 13:13). I’ve always loved my middle name. Love. I’ve never met anyone who has the same middle name as me, which makes me love it even more. Through my high school journey, I’ve learned a few life lessons that are very important to me. It’s no coincidence that there is love involved in all of them.

1. Do what you love. Volleyball is my passion, but I used to play other sports, too. Basketball, softball, and soccer are all fun, but I didn’t love them the way I love volleyball. I’ve learned that you perform better when you are passionate about what you do. Not only do you perform better but you feel more fulfilled.

2. Love with your whole heart. Basically, don’t do things halfway. If you’re going to do something, give it everything you have. Whether that be playing in the volleyball state championship game, or telling someone how you feel about them, give it your all. The results may not always be what you want them to be, but at least you will know you gave it everything.

3. Love yourself. High school is a time of finding yourself. Don’t compare yourself to anyone else. People sometimes care so much about others that they forget about themselves. It’s important to treat yourself and do things just for you. I’m not saying to be selfish and only think about yourself, but there’s nothing wrong with thinking about your own well-being once in a while. As you learn to love yourself, it’s much easier to be truly happy. High school was a crazy ride with lots of highs and lows, but in the end, I learned so much about myself. I’m excited to see what the future has in store for me and to share my love with the world.